About Me

My photo
Hi there! I see you’ve taken an interest in getting to know me. :) My name is Krishnaveni a.k.a Krishna.I'm a half-hearted housewife after doing my MBA and quitting the job to be with my husband after marriage. I'm starting this blog as i dont want to miss even a single special thing happening in my life and want to keep you all posted through everything. Please dont forget to post your valuable comments for my blog.. :)

Wednesday 7 May 2014

My Valaikappu/ Dohale Jevan


Well now i have entered into 3rd trimester and and blown up alot :) 

Now it is time for my Valaikappu (Indian Baby Shower), which is a special occasion for Hindu married woman. This is the most common event in the 5th, 7th or 9th month of pregnancy.  In other parts of India also this event is very common. In different parts, this occasion is famous with different names. This occasion is famous as Shaad in Bengal,and Godhbarai in North India.  This function is more of a social function than having any vedic meaning. 



My parents had consulted a priest for selecting an auspicious date which was decided as 13th April, 2014.My Mom, Dad and Sister were really busy  as they only had one week time for buying and arranging things.They bought me a green silk saree for the function and had also arranged for decorating my hands with henna.



People say,  People say, darker the henna become, is an indication of your partners love for you.


On the day of the function , I dressed in new saree and jewellery. My sister was busy decorating the house with rangoli to welcome the guests and also she had decorated the chair were i was going to be ceremoniously seated.  My mom was busy arranging the return gifts that we had planned to give to all the ladies who attended the function. I didnt see dad in the morning time as he was still busy with all the arrangements. Then had to get hold them all for a family time photo sessions.Forgot to mention Raji Atthai (my Mama's wife) had sent hand made yummy ladoos for me along with my Father In Law, Who came a day before my Valaikappu from Madurai.


And then at the venue,my Mom and Sister decked me up in floral jewelry complete with mukut/crown, garland, bajuband, chudi and kamarband....he he he .....with my hair looked more like a krishna in serious need of a baansuri(Flute)!! ;o) . It was my sister's idea of dressing me up in Maharashtrian Style as my register marriage was 1st done in maharashtrian style.. ;-)


All the bangles were arranged.


The Gold Bangle which was arranged in the center was gifted to me by my hubby for the function.


Family Photo Time before the function starts.. ;)
With My Mom.. :-*


With My Dad..


With My Dad & Lovely Sister..


With My Father In Law..


We love posing for my Sister's camera.. ;)







  After Dressing me up.. ;)


Sitting with the Thunai Ponnu - Savita


All aunties started arriving..


Now the function time.. 

Mom started the function applying sandal paste on Savi's cheeks and arranging bangles on Savita's hand 1st as per the tradition, and then other ladies followed by arranging bangles on her hand.


After that my Mom arranged first Neem Leaf Kappu followed by Silver and Gold Kappu. Then continued with glass bangles and then all the ladies who were present arranged bangles in odd number of bangles in the left hand and even number of bangles in the right hand.




 This is my Neighbour Dhotre Aunty who performed "Oti Bharan" which means worshiping a pregnant lady by filling her lap with auspicious articles, fruits etc.




After this Etri-Irakkudhal was performed by mom by filling a large vessel  with Paddy and small lamp which was lit, then my Mom placed 9 coins on each on my head, 2 shoulders, 2 palms, 2 feet, stomach and hip. Then with the vessel from head to toe  Ethi Irakkudhal and then Aarthi was performed.


It is customary to give bangles to all the women attending the ceremony. 




Forgot to Introduce My Brother Satish ( who became my brother as we used to resemble lookwise now became part of our family) And Savita is my Bhabhi.


My favorite part of all functions.. ;) .. ITS THE KHANA TIME.. :D

All my fav. dishes were served incl Gulab Jamun & Aamras.





 

Last but not the least.. The most important person we missed on this occasion was my husband Karthik.. He was online on skype and watching the function virtually. For him we had recorded main part of the funtion and posted on youtube.. The below are the links of the function..

http://youtu.be/pjsCUMsKU-s

http://youtu.be/u0tsTztobyM



12 comments:

  1. Devi, Photos super and your detailing is excellent....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow kv awesome clicks.. loved to c all of u so happy! God bless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Semaa..... congrats to KT & KRishna :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you :) pictures are great and blog is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. superbbbb!!wishes both of you :):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats KV... Nice pics..

    ReplyDelete
  7. kichu....wonderful snaps ...loved the snap where aunty nd u are together , very well captured :) & so well written ,almost felt like i attended the function ...keep writing & posting , loads of love & hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful event, captured and detailed beautifully.You never looked the same old college girl..very warm wishes to u n Karthik on the proposed new arrival..take good care of yourself and missed the function..all the best..regards to Karthik, aunty, uncle, shanku and ofcourse your "chota bheem"..all the best during the pregnancy and child birth..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute pictures mathini...! Its really nice to see your smiling face....and your mehndi was really amazing....as your parents love you....! Awesome pictures mathini :*

    ReplyDelete